Saturday, March 7, 2009

What has the world come to...?

Ok. Well at this very second on this very day (7th March 2009) I am more than pissed off, i think i may even be disgusted!

To get this post going....
LOCALISM defined: 'Territorial or aggresive behaviour over a surf spot or a particular peak. Generally includes outsiders getting 'vibed' or in extreme cases being subjected to violence."

So the story starts off with a nice surf with two brothers, Ryan and Luke, and the rest of the CIMAV crew.
About two hours into the session two bodyboarders turn up and automatically think they are king of the peak or some ridiculous shit like that.
The first move of them pissing everyone off was to drop on me....strike 1.
Second strike involved one guy dropping in on Ryan.
Third strike...the second bodyboarder decided to drop in on me TWICE.

So I decided to drop in on him to see how he liked it....at the end of the wave this guy ends up getting pissed off, starts slapping water at me and screaming insults at me.
I mean what can I say...
(for those of you who don't know much about surfing there is a certain etiquette where who ever is closest to the foam on the breaking wave has priority.)

So this whole argument kicks off
(dialogue - translated into English)
Dick Dragger: "Why the hell did you drop me"

Me: "Because you've been dropping me and friends for the past half an hour."

DD: "But i'm local"

Me: "Point being...?"

DD: "Its my wave!"

Me: "Yeh right mate, get lost."

DD: "What did you say?"

Me: "Get lost"

DD: "Do you know who your speaking to?"

Me: "Yeh, you quite obviously...?"

DD: "Fucking bring it then"


We never actually had a punch up...i went up to him but then he got on his board and paddled away.
Half an hour later when Ryan paddles over again, he starts dropping Ryans waves. He then gets out, about 15mins later and the CIMAV lot are doing training on the beach.

Some guy comes down with the Dick dragger and just comes straight up to me (this guy must of been about 25 or so) and starts letting loose about how the peak is for locals only and shit?
I mean can you actually believe that a 25year old guy is screaming at me about a fucking wave!!!!
So this heated discussion starts kicking off between everyone about locals and why they get the wave...i mean listen to this...

The guys reason for wanting a fight is that "Locals always get the peak (oh and apparently there is a rule about this). As soon as locals turn up everyone has to move away and they are allowed to drop but we're not allowed to drop them."
I mean why this kid had to go get his brother to sort his own mess out i have no idea...pussio!

So my conclusion comes down to this....seriously, what has the world come to when people are acting so violent over a wave! I mean you don't get there on any other wave in the Algarve, everyone is always really welcoming.
It's ridiculous....i hope all the surfers that read this are unwelcoming to all QUARTEIRA dick draggers. Lets see how the "LOCALS ONLY" makes them feel when they go other places.



2 comments:

  1. Mate, I swear the guy had a knife or some shit!
    I was seriously ready for a punch up, it was absolutely ridiculous. I mean I don't think I have ever even seen that guy before?!?!?
    Absolutely ridiculous. Actually, just reading this has got me pissed off again and what to go looking for the pair of them!! ARGH!
    What has the world come to?!?!´
    Ryan x

    ReplyDelete